You don’t have to fuss with colon tubes in sterile lab rooms to detox. Fix up simple meals in your own kitchen and relax.
When you find yourself craving for apples, raw vegetables and nuts, and are put off eating the usual junk that you love, your body is beginning a detoxification programme all on its own. Be aware of what your body wants and half the battle is won.
The heavy mucus coating in the colon thickens and becomes a host of putrefaction. The blood capillaries to the colon begin to pick up the toxins and poisons as it seeps through the bowel wall. All tissues and organs of the body are now taking on toxic substances. You feel lethargic, grumpy and nauseous.
You don’t have to go on a detox fast or starve yourself. You need to maintain your energy levels to keep up with your lifestyle. Fresh fruit and vegetable juice blends are a good start. They require minimal digestion, improve energy, are easily absorbed and assimilated by the body, and supply nutrients and calories to maintain energy while clearing body waste.
One week before you begin to detox, eliminate alcohol, nicotine, caffeine, excessive sugar, dairy, wheat, animal meat, fish and eggs. Your diet should consist mainly of organic fruits, vegetables and beans. Eat light meals based on protein, vegetables and starches. Maintain this detox diet for about two to three weeks. You will feel lighter, more positive, cheerful and healthy.
SUPER VEGETABLE JUICE
This is ideal for breakfast as it gives your energy levels a boost, wakens your digestive system whilst giving your body a nutritious, yet gentle start to the day:
1 cucumber, 4 sticks celery, 2 handfuls of raw spinach, 8 lettuce leaves or any other greens, ¼ watermelon. Optional boosters: parsley and fresh alfalfa sprouts. Juice all ingredients and mix 50/50 with distilled water. Serves 2.
Ideal as a meal in itself.
60 g pumpkin seeds, 1 carrot, chopped, 2 tbsp dried tomatoes, 1 tsp miso, an onion, a red chilli, 15 g fresh basil leaves, handful of bean sprouts, 2 avocados. Put everything apart from the alfalfa and avocados in the food processor. Process for a couple of minutes until you have a thick puree. Slice the avocados in half and remove the stones. Fill with the mixture. Top with alfalfa sprouts, and serve on a bed of lettuce. Serves 2.
– Use organic fruits and vegetables.
– Drink plenty of warm water in addition to juices.
– Go to bed early. In traditional Chinese medicine, 11 pm to 1 am is when the liver, the major detox organ, is most active.
– Rest and relaxation are important during this time. Breathing exercises, yoga and/or meditation are some optional suggestions.
Many people do not breathe correctly. And breathing correctly is vital to being healthy, and to limiting stress and anxiety. Try this breathing exercise:
– Begin by lying flat on your back or standing up straight. You may also sit up straight in a chair.
– Place your hand on your stomach area.
– Breathe as you normally would and notice whether your hand rises or your chest rises.
– To breathe properly, your stomach area must rise as your diaphragm expands. To learn to breathe correctly, begin by slowly breathing in through your nose on the count of 5 while gently pushing your hand up with your stomach.
– Hold the breath for a count of 5.
– Slowly exhale through your mouth for a count of 5 while gently pushing down on your stomach.
– Repeat this process for 5 minutes. If the process causes you to begin panicking, only do it for as long as you are able.
– Increase the length of time each day until you can do the exercise for at least 5 minutes twice per day.