Revive the essence of lycopene for a beautiful you.
No amount of wealth can buy you back your youth; hence, a well-balanced diet is important.
This applies to both men and women wanting that radiant glow on their skin. Minus the indelible impressions and dull skin tones that comes along with age and worry.
Besides, our hectic work life places a tremendous amount of pressure on ourselves, we constantly feel pressured to perform.
In return, ordering fast food takeaway becomes an ideal choice for a meal, soon, we are to forget the importance a healthy diet brings to our skin. Likewise, forgo the fact that in today’s working world, looking your best and staying youthful are important to our career growth.
Commented Slow Down Ageing.com on the topic of preventing sagging skin, ‘Fortunately, there are many anti-ageing skin care methods which can help you preserve a youthful appearance’,
‘However, the basic idea is that the problem of sagging skin is not necessarily a cause, but only a symptom…if you can treat its cause(s), you can look younger, and add more years to your life.’
A good form of self-treatment would be to consume more lycopene. A cherry-red coloured natural substance found in fruits and vegetables that wears its colour. This must-have nutrient is beneficial to your health, too.
Insuring your Beauty with Lycopene
Often, scientists enjoy entering lengthy debates over the secrets of lycopene.
From cancer-fighting properties to skin-care goodness, what else can this natural substance do to enhance your everyday living? As long as you diligently consume a fair amount, insuring you with lasting beauty is possible.
Lycopene can help to prevent your skin from sagging. A natural skin toner, it provides your skin cells with collagen for firmer skin.
Likewise, lycopene also helps you to fend off the ugly ageing effects caused by the sun’s ultraviolet rays.
Lycopene for Life
Rich in antioxidants, lycopene can help you ward off cancer, and other degenerative diseases.
Lycopene can also help you to reduce your cholesterol level. A study conducted over a span of three months with 60 men, each of who were fed with 60 milligrams of lycopene a day, showed a 14% reduction in LDL cholesterol in the blood.
Hence, insuring you by consuming the right foods is thrice more benefiting, compared to any health policy. Do not wait too late to start consuming your lycopene.
Ways to Consume Your Lycopene
Certainly, there are many ways to consume your reds, and greens.
Still, the best way to increase your body absorption of this natural substance is to have it raw with a sprinkle of healthy fat (ie. Olive Oil).
A little healthy fat would also do your body well, as your skin and nails require fat to rejuvenate itself.
On the other hand, if you prefer having a soup-based meal, you can follow the recipe provided to make tomato soup.
Tomato Soup (Serves 4)
- 4 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 whole tomatoes, chopped to quarters
- 2 whole tomatoes, juiced
- 1 tablespoon of brown sugar
- 3 slices of large sandwich bread (crusts removed and cut into 1-inch pieces)
- 2 cups of chicken stock
Method of Preparation (20 – 30 minutes)
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a pot over medium-high heat till it shimmers.
- Add onion, garlic and bay leaf into the pot. Stir the ingredients for 3 – 5 minutes.
- Add into the pot of flavourful ingredients, the whole tomatoes chopped into quarters together with the juice prepared. Mix well.
- Sprinkle into your pot the tablespoonful of brown sugar and slices of bread before bringing it to boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium and stir your ingredients for 5 minutes. Mix Well.
- Now, remove the bay leaf from the pot and add a tablespoonful of olive oil and process the soup till it becomes smooth and creamy for 2 – 3 minutes.
- Add your chicken broth into the mixture till you start to notice your broth thickens.
- Bring your soup to boil. And if you wish to add a touch of light, piquant flavours before serving, sprinkle a light serving of salt, pepper and freshly chopped basil or parsley. Mix Well.
This recipe is adapted from Cook’s Illustrated.
Here are a few more methods you might want to try.
Roasted Tomato Slices (Serves 4)
- 4 fresh tomatoes
- Olive Oil
Method of Preparation (80 minutes)
- Peel the tomatoes’ skin, and cut them in halves.
- Coat the tomato slices with olive oil on a plate.
- Once you have fully coated your tomatoes, place them skin side down on baking paper.
- Place them in an oven, preheated to 350°F to cook. This process should take 45 – 60 minutes. Once they begin to turn a slight brow, remove them from the oven. Serve with garnishes of your choice.
Stuffed-Salad Tomatoes (Serves 8)
This is a straightforward method of preparation. Salad and tomatoes makes the perfect blend for a healthy diet.
- 8 fresh tomatoes
Method of Preparation (15 minutes)
- Slice off the stalk of the tomato
- Scoop out the insides of each tomato with a teaspoon
- Fill the insides with salad stuffing
Tips on Selecting Your Tomatoes
To make tasty tomato soup, select only plump and heavy tomatoes. Avoid those with blemishes, bruises, or cracks.
If you are planning to prepare tomato dishes few days later, select those that are a lighter red. Allow them to ripen fully by storing them in a cool area.